- Warning: Spoilers ahead for Netflix’s “The Queen’s Gambit.”
- The hit limited series released on Netflix follows the story of chess prodigy Beth Harmon (Anya Taylor-Joy).
- Beth travels around the world playing in tournaments and competitions.
- Throughout the series, mesmerizing backdrops surround Beth’s captivating chess matches.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
“The Queen’s Gambit” is much more than a story about a prodigy chess player — it’s about breaking gender norms, iconic fashion trends, and stunning cinematography.
But another binge-worthy element is the series’ backdrops.
From a flower-filled bathroom in Mexico to a Soviet-inspired hall in Russia, the show’s production designer, Uli Hanisch, and set decorator, Sabine Schaaf, use design to capture the culture and style of the 1960s.
“For each city, we thought about what the biggest…